Monday, April 16, 2012

Read with me - Day 2

RIIIGHT! so I did say every day or two... this was more like three, but we can get some momentum going. On to:

Jeremiah 2
(read it here)

This is where God starts explaining to His people Israel what His complaint against them is.  I thought verse 13 summarized it well:
for my people have committed two evils:
they have forsaken me,
    the fountain of living waters,
and hewed out cisterns for themselves,
    broken cisterns that can hold no water
Jeremiah 2:13 ESV

This charge I find to be true of those I know who reject God, and even myself in my own sins.  Sin at its core is the rejection of God as the source of life.  When you reject God as the source of life, you must try to find life from something else.  So we chase after these other things, trying to squeeze a little life from them. The things we choose vary.  Some follow money. Some chase thrills. Many enslave themselves to food. Some gorge themselves on sex. Others shroud themselves in fantasies. Inevitably, they all fail to give life. We discover that the life we sought flows out of them, much like water from a cracked bucket. These things never could give life at all.
This is every sin:  you reject the river to look for broken buckets.

So there is the warning:  Are you looking to the river for life or are you chasing after empty buckets?

That is what I saw.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment